Thursday, August 21, 2008

Thank-you, I had no idea

I have a pretty small body frame. 5'9" and about 127lbs, give or take a couple of pounds. My bone structure is quite small, although luckily I have never broken a bone (except for my baby toe on my right foot, which must have happened when I was quite young because I neither remember it nor have a reason for why it is slightly misshapen due to being broken - my husband recently discovered this fact and declares it is grounds for divorce as he finds it creepy looking and was not made aware of this "imperfection" pre-marriage).

Anyways, all of this small-ness and tall-ness has combined to have me "showing" our pregnancy fairly early on. I have had a distinguishable baby belly since probably about 14 weeks, and in the last couple of weeks, it has been *very* obvious. If one more person says "wow, you look really pregnant" I think I might kill them. Like geez, "oh really, do I? that *MUST* be what it is, thank you for clarifying, I thought I was just getting fat". I can appreciate that people mean well with these comments, but wow, people say the dumbest things to pregnant women.

Moving on to more positive things, we had our monthly checkup with the doc yesterday morning. We told him that we were hoping to find out the gender in advance, just for fun, and asked if the hospital would tell us at the ultrasound next week. Apparently it is our hospital's policy not to reveal gender, but he said that he could tell us! One of the nice things about having an ob-gyn for our baby doctor is that he has an ultrasound machine in his office. We listened to the heartbeat (163 bpm, it's been that high pretty much all along) and then he dumped the oh-so-cold ultrasound gel on and showed us our baby! We got the full on bum view, as if you were sitting on a chair and there was a camera underneath you, and it was amazing. You could see the wee bum, both legs, and at one point baby curled its feet under, and we saw the little toes! That was probably the most emotional moment I have had yet in this pregnancy, it was so fascinating.

Doc pointed out how the umbilical cord is resting between baby's legs, which makes determining gender a little more difficult for him, but he poked and prodded and looked all around, and finally said he's thinking that we're having a baby girl! Even with the cord in the way, he explained how he would normally be able to see some "boy bits" and he didn't see any, so his best guess for right now is that it's a Baby Girl for us! At our next monthly checkup in September he is going to take a look again, when we'll be farther along and hopefully he'll be able to see a more clear genital picture. All in all, we want a happy and healthy baby, so we would have been happy with either flavour ;) but it is pretty neat being able to say "she" and "her" and talking about our baby girl.

2 comments:

the girl said...

see? isn't it fun to be updating again? and if you print it all, you'll have a record of your pregnancy to share with your daughter when she is expecting! :)

the girl said...

you may be due for a quick update, if only to look back on years from now. Your life will never ever be the same as it is right now. You won't miss it, but it won't be the same.