Tuesday, May 29, 2007

To cat or not to cat

We had a new loveseat delivered today, and they took the old one away. We bought new living room furniture (couch, loveseat, chair) when we moved into the new place, and I discovered one day that the back of the loveseat inside was wrecked. Since it's under warranty, I called the Company Named After A Piece of Masonry and they sent out their repair tech. He gave me the option of them taking away the loveseat, fixing it, and bringing it back 2 - 3 weeks later, or just exchanging it for a new one.

Gee, that was a hard decision.

So today we got our new loveseat. Which is fantastic, because, despite my best efforts, the cats have been using portions of the couch and loveseat as a scratch post. Despite having a scratchpost next to each piece of furniture. Sigh. The loveseat was the most wrecked (and it wasn't overly noticeable if you don't live in our house and aren't obsessive compulsive) but Muffin was rather pissed off about. So new loveseat = less pissed off Muffin.

Now hopefully the cats leave the new one alone. He wants to get them declawed, I absolutely refuse. I have heard of those plastic caps for kitties' claws - anyone have any personal experience with those? I tried buying that "this stuff is supposed to stink and keep the cats away" stuff, but it didn't work. Covering the corners with aluminum foil worked (they only scratch at the corners) but really, who wants aluminim foil over their couch corners 90% of the time?

May long weekend camping was fabulous - ridiculously busy, but fabulous. I again leave you with a precious picture of my baby and his momma.

6 comments:

the girl said...

Well, I'm for declawing if the cats don't ever go outside. I can only speak for our old cat, but she was WAY happier after I had her declawed (just the front). But, her claws used to grow into her paws and it was painful.

Never used the claw tipping, but have heard that it works. The tips have to continually be redone (like little kitty manicures), but prolly after a while the cats would just stop trying to scratch. No guarantee though, as our cat thought she could scratch right up until her last days.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Cuddles said...

Oh really? You've declawed a cat? How much did it cost? Did she seem unhappy? Hmmm. Our two babies don't ever EVER go outside, and they obviously only scratch the furniture with their front claws. Hmmm. Points to ponder.

the girl said...

Well, that said, I had to do it twice. Make sure that you get references from other people who've used the vet for this procedure. The vet that did my cat the first time, didn't do it right. The claws started growing back, inside her paws. Not pretty. And VERY unpleasant for her, especially having the surgery done again by a second, skillful vet. She was very happy without claws, but the recovery from the surgery isn't pretty, and you won't feel like a good parent. Trust me. After they heal, you'll be fine. Just figure in a LOT of spoiling for a while.

Don't have your email to send photos to...

Cuddles said...

I asked your dear husband to give you my email address, I sent it to his MSN account..

the girl said...

sent!

Anonymous said...

I come from Europe and have never heard of declawing before I read about it on a blog and I am horrified!!!!

If people don't want a cat with claws then shouldn't have a cat!

It's barbaric and a mutilation, and is in reality an amputation of all the toes. Why don't we ask all the owners of declawed cats to get their toes amputated!!!! Lets see how brave they are.

A cat uses claws as defence to climb and to take hold of things, it is a necessary part of a cat and it should be forbidden by law to remove them.